Sunday, December 14, 2014

You need to do how many?


November 26th arrived. Biopsy day.  I tried so hard to get this date changed, to no avail.  I called almost daily to see if there were any cancellations but alas, the 26th was to be the day. I was terrified. I was shaking. The idea of someone cutting me open made me shudder (no C-section for me!). By the time I walked into the Breast Assessment Centre at the hospital, I was shaking.  I'm a grown woman but I wanted to cry like a baby. I wanted my Mommy! The nurse was very kind. She walked me through the whole process before giving me another ultrasound.  Then the doctor came in. He again went over the biopsy process but in more detail. He was going to do two incisions (on the two largest tumors) and would insert three biopsy needles into each incision.  He would then use a smaller needle and biopsy the lymph node. Are you keeping track? That's nine needles. Let me stop here for a moment. I HATE needles. I do not do them well. Nine needles is a lot for someone that does not like needles.  I was supposed to be comforted by the fact that the area would be frozen. Guess how they do the freezing? You got it - needles! Once the freezing happened, it actually wasn't that bad.  The doctor actually guided the needles to the specific areas via an ultrasound.  Believe me, I was only told this. There was no way I was watching the ultrasound machine. Once he got to the lymph node biopsy, he had a lot of trouble finding the lymph node. He even told me that he wasn't sure that he got what he needed. The adrenaline I experienced was crazy! I was freezing cold the minute they finished the biopsy and yet my hands and feet were in a cold sweat. They brought me to a recovery room and gave me a nice warm blanket. I felt so shaky. I had to stick around for half an hour with a bag of ice on my boob and then I was ready to go. I actually felt not too bad (only a little bruised) but I was so emotionally drained...

No comments:

Post a Comment