Sunday, December 14, 2014

Are you serious?

On November 10th, while teaching class, I got a phone call from my doctor. He told me that he was shocked and this is not the results that he thought they would be. In fact, the results indicated breast cancer and I needed an urgent referral for a breast biopsy. The ultrasound was also showing disease in the lymph nodes.  I was shocked. I felt numb.  I immediately called Derek. Then I went back to my class.  My teaching partner and our Literacy Coach were in the class. They sent me down to the office. I felt like I was in a daze. I couldn't believe this. Everyone kept saying that it was okay. The biopsy would probably come back negative. As I walked into the office the tears came.  My principal was wonderful. She gave me a huge hug and let me cry.  In the end she had me laughing but I knew I had to leave for the afternoon. We got a supply teacher in for me and off I went to my doctor's office. I wanted more answers. I needed to hear the results again now that I felt a little less numb. He patiently explained it all to me again. He told me that a lot of the time results come back and say that they need to be redone in three to six months.  Not mine. He also said that sometimes they say that due to the results, a biopsy is suggested. Not mine. My doctor told me that due to the findings, it is requested that a biopsy be urgently scheduled. The clinic gave me the hospital phone number as I could try calling instead of having a middle man.  Perfect. I raced home and called Lakeridge (Oshawa) hospital. I couldn't believe it! The earliest they could get me in for an urgent biopsy was November 26th. Seriously?  The rest of the day passed and once I put Riley to bed, I burst out crying. Seriously, is this really happening? I can't get in for an urgent breast biopsy until November 26th? Are you serious?

No comments:

Post a Comment