Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A feeling of normalacy...

After my pharmaceutical teaching and radiation oncologist appointment on December 12th, I got to experience what 'normal' felt like again. I wanted to go into my classroom and see my little Grade 1's again. I wanted a chance to say good-bye and Merry Christmas to them. I also wanted to see the staff members that I have grown so close to and those that have reached out to me. It was so wonderful to make a Christmas craft with the Grade One's and to hear some of their stories. I told them that I wasn't going to be back for a while because I was sick. I basically explained how I was feeling and that I was sick in the same words, more or less, that I used to explain being sick to my son.  I never used the word 'cancer' but I did explain that I was very sick and would not be at school for quite a while. I also told them that I would drop in whenever I could. It was great to see my teaching partner, administration and other team members again. The lady taking my place in my classroom is fantastic and I feel so wonderful leaving my children in her quite-capable hands. I even went to my staff Christmas party that evening. It was wonderful to forget all about the cancer and the treatments for a short time and to feel 'normal'...

No comments:

Post a Comment