Monday, December 15, 2014

How do you say that?

First thing December 12th, we met with the pharmacist. She went over each drug I would take during chemotherapy and what the side-effects would be. She also talked to me about what drugs to take the day of chemo and the following two days. Wow! There are A LOT of pills to take each day and week. I also have prescribed anti-nausea pills. Most of the pills I have to take are reasonably priced (as far as the typical prescriptions we generally take). I also need to take injections of white blood cell boosters the day after each chemo treatment. Holy crap! This stuff is crazy-expensive! We are talking $2700 each week I have chemo! That's insane! I'm not even sure how to pronounce any of the medicines I am supposed to take. After we met with the pharmacist, we met with my radiation oncologist. I had been thinking a bit about the road to the radiation turn-off. My doctor put it best...after chemo and surgery, radiation will be a walk in the park! I won't feel anything - its just a machine that moves around me targeting the breast area. Finally, something much less painful! There are some side-effects. I should expect to feel fatigued and the area that is targeted will slowly feel like I am getting a sunburn.  I should expect to do 25-30 rounds of radiation - everyday, five days a week for five to six weeks. Again, I am happy we are no longer going to Sunnybrook. That would be a lot of travelling back and forth, especially when I am feeling tired.  Each treatment typically lasts fifteen minutes.  Easy-peasy...I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment