Thursday, December 18, 2014

So they say...

So they say that the first twenty-four hours after chemotherapy actually isn't too bad. It's the two or three days after day one that is a bit rougher. They are right. I was pretty good for the first twenty-four hours. Then I started to feel so different. So strange. I got the chills like I had a fever but I didn't (trust me, I must have checked ten to fifteen times). I am hyper-sensitive to how everything in my body feels. At five in the morning I turned onto my side and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. I could actually feel my heart beating and pumping harder because of the drugs. Trying to walk Riley to school this morning took longer because I couldn't walk as fast. I couldn't get a full breath of air. Then when I started walking my heart started to beat harder and faster. I was exhausted by the time I got home. I had a quick breakfast, lay down on the couch and was fast asleep for the next couple hours. I woke up so groggy and spaced out that I had my mother drive me to my doctors appointment. Now, when I go to the doctors office, I must don a mask immediately upon entry and ask to be put in a separate office so I don't catch anything while waiting in the waiting room, as well as sanitise when I enter and when I leave. I asked my doctor about my heart and about how breathing felt. Totally normal for a chemo patient. All of my organs are working overtime. My MUGA scan (heart test) came back normal. When I got back home I was again, exhausted. I slept on and off for another three and a half hours. Here's something I figured out not to do...do NOT bend down to pick something up! I bent over to pick up a sock - my God! I thought my heart was going to burst out of my chest and the my lungs were going to drop out like two bags of sand. It also gave me an immediate headache. Note to self - don't do that again! I also have muscle aches and pains. Good times! On the plus side, my PICC line is finally hurting less! I am one tough chick! I can handle this!

3 comments:

  1. Yes you are....and yes you can.
    Irene xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn toughest chick I know and you can and will handle this!!
    Lov ya' sunshine...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the toughest chicks I know, hands down. Thinking of you always:)

    ReplyDelete