Sunday, December 14, 2014

The process begins...

Bright and early, Friday, December 5th, Derek and I headed to Lakeridge Oshawa, to meet with the surgeon and discuss my results and the course of action I would take. Initially, she went over the results of the biopsy. The first tumor was now 4.5cm and tested positive for breast cancer.  The second tumor was now 2.6cm and also tested positive for breast cancer.  I am considered to be a triple negative (negative in estrogen receptors, negative in progesterone receptors and negative in the HER2 gene). Typically this means that I would respond well to chemotherapy. It also means that I was an immediate candidate for genetic testing (the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes - the one that Angelina Jolie made such a big deal about in the media). I also have a very aggressive form of breast cancer (grade 3).  There is also some discrepancy as to whether I have two tumors or one (in that case it is 7.1cm). If I have two tumors, I am considered to be in Stage 2A, however if it is all one tumor, I am considered to be in Stage 3A breast cancer. The type of cancer I have is called Invasive Ductal Carcinoma - it is the most common form. The doctor immediately ordered an MRI, a bone scan and a CT scan. The bone scan will determine if the cancer has spread to my bones and the CT scan and MRI will look more closely at my other organs that breast cancer typically spreads to (liver, neck, brain, kidneys). That was a lot to take in...

1 comment:

  1. I woke up this morn and read your blog. It made me cry uncontrollably and then it made me smile. It made me cry to think why you?, life can be so "f'ing" unfair and uncertain. Then it made me smile to think only you Lisa, could and would take the time through all this crap and uncertainty that you are going through, to make sure we all know what is happening. Only you could do this. I kept smiling because I know deep down in my heart that you will fight this thing with everything you've got, you will rock it to the core and without a doubt you will most certainly win and rise above it. Cancer has not met and dealt with the likes of Lisa Young, this time you have come to the wrong person because she is, without a doubt, "one tough chick."
    I love you! xo

    ReplyDelete