Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...

When we got home we decided to talk to Riley and tell him what was going on. This came on the advice of the social worker. We had slowly been feeding him information and we felt that he needed to know now what was happening and why. I called Ry over and told him that Mommy was at the hospital again today and that the reason I have been going to the hospital so often is because I have CANCER. The first thing out of Riley's mouth was him asking me if I was going to die (I knew he would ask and wonder about this - he knows all about Terry Fox). I told him that I would not die (it felt so good to be able to say that - especially thinking back to my bone scan and CT scan).  We told Ry that Terry Fox died many years ago when they didn't have the medicine or the technology that they have today. We also told Ry that we found the cancer early enough that they could treat it and take it out of me. I told him that I was going to have to go to the hospital regularly so that they could give me medicine to make me all better.  That was good enough for him.  Enough for today. Another day we can talk about surgery, radiation and reconstruction...

No comments:

Post a Comment