Saturday, December 20, 2014

Gotta think positive...

There are a lot of negative things that come from chemotherapy. 
• You are basically putting poison into your body. You will lose your hair - all of it including on your head, all over your body and your eyebrows. 
• You begin to experience a loss of appetite. 
• Your organs work overtime and at times this is very uncomfortable. 
• The PICC line really sucks - it's uncomfortable, itchy and gets in the way. Your body is achy and cold. 
• Any cuts you get take a long time to clot and stop bleeding (even the smallest of cuts).
• The heartburn is constant and dreadful. 
• Chemo dries out your skin - have a heavy-duty moisturizer for your face, hands and feet.

There are some positives though (yes, I am searching here a bit but it does help to think of anything positive in this process). 
• I have discovered that I have more friends than I ever knew I had and they each care about me and my family a lot. 
• It's only going to take me 15 minutes to get ready now that I don't have to do my hair. 
• I won't have to shave my legs. 
• I don't have the strength to do any heavy lifting and I'm not supposed to try (sorry Derek). 
• My hair won't get messy in the wind or rain. 
• I can add to my extensive wardrobe with scarves and hats now. 
• I have now entered into a pseudo menopause - no more periods!
• Because chemo dries your skin out, try to avoid washing dishes.

This pros and cons list will continue to evolve as I go through with my chemotherapy.  Check back for any additions...

No comments:

Post a Comment