Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Welcome to our home...

The evening of December 15th, we found out that we would have a home-care nurse come to our house the day after our first chemotherapy. She would administer a small injection of white blood cell booster into me (my stomach area). She would also teacher Derek and I how to administer this to me on our own. The nurse only comes to the home the first time to inject the blood cell booster - after that, you're on your own! Derek better pay close attention because I would NEVER be able to do that to myself. She will also come every other week (the week I don't have chemotherapy) to change the dressing and clean my PICC line. I have to be very careful to never get the PICC line wet as this can cause bacteria and infection. Infection can spread quickly through my body. In fact, if my temperature ever hits 38 degrees Celsius or 100 degrees Fahrenheit, I need to go directly to the hospital emergency room...

No comments:

Post a Comment