Monday, December 15, 2014

How do you tell a six-year-old...

When I heard the news that cancer wasn't in my bones and I started to cry, Riley saw me. How do you tell a six-year-old that you have cancer?  Derek and I had been prepping him. We had been telling him for a couple weeks that 'Mommy was sick' and that he needs to wash his hands all the time. We knew now that we needed to tell him more. I went right down to his level and told him that I needed to talk to him. I asked him if he remembered when Daddy and I told him that I was sick. I told him that I had been finding out that I was really sick. I had finally heard some good news and that I was so relieved and happy even though I was crying. I asked him if he remembered when I had showed him the bandages from the biopsy? I told him that even though I didn't look sick right now, that I actually was. The sick part was where the bandages were and that it was under the skin where he couldn't see.  I also told Riley that I was going to get a lot more sick before I got any better. I explained to Riley that he was going to have to be super-careful with me and that he wouldn't be able to run full-speed into me and that he was going to have to wash his hands all the time. I also had to tell Riley that unfortunately, when he was sick, I was going to have to stay further away from him and probably wouldn't be able to kiss him, snuggle him or put him to bed.  That broke my heart. I also promised him that I would get better again and be the exact same way again soon.  He accepted what I told him and told me that he understood. I think I managed to give a basic explanation of cancer to a six-year-old...

No comments:

Post a Comment