Monday, December 15, 2014

"That's what friends (and family) are for. In good times and bad times..."



The power of friendship is undeniable. This has been reaffirmed for me over and over again in the last couple of weeks. I have never in my life had so many people reach out to me, my family or my parents. It truly makes travelling through this journey a little easier. A couple of Saturdays ago, I had the pleasure of getting together with a few couples that Derek and I regularly hang around with. Yes, we talked about my breast cancer but I was overcome with their kind words their camaraderie, their love for me and my family. Their support was unbelievable. I really don’t have words to describe how it felt to have each person listen and contribute to my fight by telling me they would be there for anything I/we needed at any time. It was amazing talking to them about doing a breast cancer walk and maybe even doing golf tournament. I left that night feeling like I could conquer the world. Friends always know the perfect thing to say at the perfect time. The next afternoon, a group of girls I used to work with at SWS came over. It was a last minute thing and it was simply amazing to have my girls over. They made me smile because they get me and because I am totally myself around them. It was amazing to see each of them (it’s really been a while for a couple ladies, (especially when I know how busy each of their lives are between children, husbands, family, friends, and extra-curricular activities They were able to come and see me and show all their love and support. The flowers they brought me were absolutely beautiful (and pink, symbolizing breast cancer – that didn’t go unnoticed). When they headed home, I remember remarking to Derek that I felt so great and that I couldn’t stop smiling. I miss seeing each of them regularly. I sincerely miss all of the team that I currently work with. At one point or another, each team member has asked me how things are going, have offered their friendship to me, have prayed for me, have helped me to my class when I couldn’t even think straight because I felt so stressed out and because they are just such a fantastic group of people to work with. With some, it has been their witty sense of humour that has me laughing and forgetting about the road that lies ahead. Another friendship I will treasure is Riley’s teacher and school community. They have been so amazing and so supportive. So many are praying for myself and my family – people I don’t know and people I barely know – moving into this school community is just what Riley and our family needed to endure this path chosen for me. Their love and support will help us to travel this scary path. One group of my girls even went as far as putting together a beautiful bracelet for me. It is so meaningful. There are many beads and charms and each of them have a special meaning behind it. The teapot is for friendships I have made, a hope charm, pink and white crystal beads representing breast cancer (because I will kick it in the ass and because I love sparkle), hematite beads for stability, a laugh charm for the better days ahead, a red bead to represent the fire within, a crystal because of the tests I have been through and for the positive results, a family charm for and from my family and friends and a purse charm because my girls and I are going on a serious shopping spree (boy, do my friends know me) when this is all over. I will wear that bracelet to every chemo appointment and when I need some extra strength. I have also been given a beautiful guardian angel to watch over me. Thank you to all these friends and friendships and to the many more that have taken time to comfort my family and me. To all my friendships, I am blessed for even knowing you. Thank you...


1 comment:

  1. Hi Lis,
    I am so sorry to hear of this. You really are "One Tough Chick" though and if anyone can beat it...you will! Stay strong and I will be following you on your blog and praying for your speedy recovery in my heart! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete