Saturday, January 03, 2015

Bald is beautiful...

I have been waking up the past few mornings because I kept thinking I was going to have a ponytail of hair laying on my pillow. I was already having clumps of hair fall out in the shower, every time I brushed it and whenever I touched it. Today was the day...to shave my head. My head feels so weird now and so much colder.  For those of you with full heads of hair, hair really does act like a toque on your head. Derek shaved his head right along side me. Riley wasn't sure how he felt when he saw me. He was a bit taken aback. He wasn't sure how to react. He wasn't sure if he liked it (me either, kiddo). Riley gathered just enough courage to touch my head of sparse locks. 
I have discovered a couple things about my head...
1. I have very small ears
2. My head is quite evenly shaped
3. I don't have any unknown scars (or any scars I thought I might have from the curling iron)
4. I have a lot of cowlicks
5. I don't have any really weird bumps or indentations (I guess my parents didn't drop me when I was a baby)
6. Derek thinks I look pretty good with a shaved head (does he have to say that???)
7. So do my parents (I think they have to say that)
I miss my hair, I really do. This feels so foreign. I looks so strange to me. I keep doing a double-take when I catch a glimpse of myself. It is something I will have to come to accept and live with. Moving forward through the rest of chemo, my mantra is 'bald is beautiful'...






11 comments:

  1. Ok sunshine, you ARE beautiful!! You totally rock the bald head, not too many could but you honestly do! Your
    smile radiates your beauty...love ya '
    one more step forward sunshine..xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lis
    You look incredibly beautiful. .. (and I'm not just saying that) kyle and I were both saying how amazing you look...your rocking this look. Derek looks good too. ♡ you are amazing and inspirational. Xoxo Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, you are beautiful! Your courage and strength and incredibly positive attitude is truly an inspiration to us all! Always remember you have a large team of people cheering you on as you continue to fight and win this battle! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beauty is not defined by hair. You are beautiful with or without hair! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed! You totally rock that look! You look amazing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I said you would still be beautiful without your hair and you are. Love and prayers to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are still very beautiful...your eyes and that smile. Love and prayers to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do look beautiful with and without hair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know what's beautiful to me? That smile. :) You're an amazing person, inside and out, pardner. I hope you know how much I admire your courage. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your smile is by far the first thing I noticed in the photo. Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bald truly is the new beautiful. If you decide to shave your head bald not only is it an all natural look without hair products, but it also has plenty of other benefits. Some of these benefits include: no cowlicks, you don't have to brush your hair, and you save a lot of time when you have a bald head.

    Collene Puterbaugh @ Baja Hair Center

    ReplyDelete