Thursday, March 05, 2015

I want this darn thing out...

As excited as I am for my last chemo treatment (18 days!), I also can't wait to get this darn PICC line out of my arm. I don't sleep the same, I can't cuddle up with a blanket the same and it is so uncomfortable. Clothing doesn't fit the same and short sleeves and tank tops look ridiculous because you can see the obtrusive thing. Not only is there a tube/wire coming from my arm, it is wrapped with gauze. Then the nurses have a white and clear plaster (about four inches by three inches in size) over top of the tube/wire and my arm to help keep it in place and avoid unfortunate mishaps (my son or dog accidentally yanking on it). To top it all off, I have a white mesh cover or sock piece over top of everything that surrounds my arm. It makes any clothing with tighter sleeves very uncomfortable and tops that show any arm not an option.  I also need to have it changed and cleaned once a week so I have to be available every Wednesday so a home-care nurse can come in and change and clean it. My home-care nurse came to the house yesterday to change the dressing and clean the skin where the tube/wire comes out of my arm. I mentioned to her that I was just as excited for the chemo to end as I am for the PICC line to come out. Do you know what she said? She told me that they may not take it out in case they decide to to do more chemo treatments! What?!?!?! I am so happy I have an appointment with my surgeon and my oncologist tomorrow because I know what the first question out of my mouth will be! This darn thing better be coming out! And what is this idea that I might need more chemo? No one has ever mentioned this to me before. Am I just whining and complaining now? I don't think so. I want my PICC line out...

1 comment:

  1. Things take time, especially something as serious as chemo therapy. The bright spot is everything is moving along well and you are keeping your spirits up. Medical treatment is not exactly exciting so its up to everyone undergoing it to stay upbeat. You are doing your part well! Time will pass and the process will work its way out.

    Walton Baylor @ Homewatch CareGivers Atlanta East

    ReplyDelete