Thursday, July 23, 2015

Next appointment...gynecologist...

Now that the worst of my breast cancer experience is behind me, I do still have some mountains to climb. Yes, chemotherapy is completed and so is my first mastectomy and radiation. I still have a lot of healing to go through followed by another mastectomy, breast reconstruction on both sides and a hysterectomy (ovaries and fallopian tubes, however I am going to opt to have my uterus removed if allowed). I met with my gynecologist to discuss what the procedure would entail and what my options are. She reported to me that removing the ovaries and fallopian tubes is a day procedure (meaning again, I would be leaving the hospital the same day I check in - crazy) and it is a very simple procedure. A small incision (about a centimetre in length) would be made just above my belly button and two small incisions (half a centimetre) would be made about three to four inches below my belly button - one on my left side and one on my right side. My ovaries and tube would be removed through these incisions. I asked my gynecologist if having a full hysterectomy was an option that I could explore. She told me that there were two ways this could happen. If my uterus had 'dropped' (become weaker and looser), than I could do a vaginal hysterectomy (everything would be pulled out there) or if my uterus hasn't 'dropped', I would have about a five to six inch incision made along my bikini line and have everything removed that way. An exam would be done to determine which type of complete hysterectomy I can proceed with. Long story short, I will be having a complete vaginal hysterectomy early into 2016.

An interesting fact that my gynecologist told me is that by walking every day and remaining fairly fit, I can decrease my chance of cancer reoccurring by 60%. Needless to say, I will continue to walk daily for the rest of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment