Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Meeting with plastics...

I have had an opportunity to meet with my plastic surgeon. He will be the one to reconstruct both of my breasts post mastectomy. Since knowing of the fact that I would be having my breasts reconstructed, I've joked around saying that I was going to come out looking like Dolly Parton. In seriousness, I don't have that option even if I did want it (which I definitely did not). Because of my size and weight (small and slight), I have been told that the biggest I can go is a 'B'. That's okay with me. With all of my back issues, a B is probably for the best. Besides, I love my clothing and want to still be able to fit into it! Having implants instead of pulling tissue from other parts of my body is my best option as well, again due to my size and weight. What I wasn't aware of prior to meeting with my plastic surgeon was that I was going to have to have surgery on my back to remove one of my muscles and move it to my right breast to help reconstruct it. Reconstruction  means another surgery and another scar about eight inches in length running from the middle of my back down to the lower right side of my back. Swell. My body will compensate naturally for the muscle loss and will regain strength in my back. None of this will happen however until my breast area and skin heal from radiation...

No comments:

Post a Comment