Monday, May 25, 2015

Hoping for better news...

It has been longer than I would have liked for me to write this post. I needed a few days to digest everything I have now learned. Something to note, I'm still keeping my chin up! On Thursday May 21st, I went to see my medical oncologist for a follow-up appointment post-surgery. She had just received my pathology report in the previous hour. She came in to explain what the findings were. Let me start by saying, my husband and I really didn't know what the appointment was all about, why we were going to see her. We quickly found out and it was a little shocking. What my husband and I didn't really know was that the triple-negative breast cancer that I was diagnosed with, is one of if not the worst and most aggressive form of breast cancer. We found this out at our appointment. We knew my cancer was aggressive but didn't understand or realize how aggressive it was. The oncologist then proceeded to tell us that I have a 50% chance of the cancer coming back and that it usually happens within the first two to three years after treatment and surgery. Typically the cancer will metastasise in the the liver, lungs, brain, bones and/or spine. Whoa! That was a lot to take in. The surgeon took out the large tumor in the breast and twenty lymph nodes. Four of the lymph nodes tested positive for cancer. Because of this, my cancer is categorized as T2N2. If they would have found cancer in three or less lymph nodes, it would have been labelled as T2N1. Needless to say, this wasn't the news we were hoping for. On the bright side, only four of the twenty nodes were affected...

No comments:

Post a Comment